Thursday 6 July 2017

Barcelona, te echaré de menos | Barcelona, I will miss you

Six months... has it really been that long? *Sigh*


As I pack up my bags and prepare to return home to Canada, it is time to reflect on my stay in Barcelona.

What have I learned?
-Certainly plenty about Spanish culture, about how to take life slowly and relax.
-A lot about architecture, other streams of design, and valuable resources that I can utilize in my future studies and career.
-How to cook (kind of)! With more time on  my hands I have been given the opportunity to experiment with new foods and flavours.
-To let go of not only lost items (I said goodbye to two cellphones and a nice camera during my time here nasty pickpocketers) but also "lost" opportunities. I now am trying to operate under the belief that if I did not attend something, then I was not meant to attend it.


The hike to the top of Montserrat.
A day-trip to la Costa Brava with my Uncle. 


-How to communicate better in Spanish, and even picked up a little bit of Catalan comprehension along the way.
-The value of language and am inspired to learn more.
-How to travel solo, and I now desperately want to explore more of Canada.
-A little bit more of Canada's place in the world, and what makes Canada unique among the brushstrokes of many other cultures.
-Why I value  the lovely West Coast, and how it forever is and forever will be a huge part of who I am.
-How to handle change and impermanence, especially in regards to the coming and going of the amazing people that have touched my time here.
-And many many many more things. This is by no means an exhaustive list.



I was fortunate enough to visit my roommate's village
"Mura" —year-round population: approximately 200. 





I went for San Joan, a holiday marked by a feast and fireworks. In Mura, the whole
community gets together in the main plaza to eat, dance, and set off fireworks. 



Kwinten soaking in some sun on the beach at Barceloneta.
He has truly grasped the Spaniard's concept of  tranquilidad.
What do I regret?
-Coming here? Absolutely not. Why? See above.
-Not bringing maple syrup with me on exchange.

How do I feel about going back?-Sad to be saying goodbye to the lovely people I have met and the never-boring Barcelona.
-Happy to see family, friends, and the beautiful nature of the West Coast.
-Optimistic about how I can take what I learned and bring it forward into my "normal" life.

Would I recommend this experience to a friend?
Heck. Yes.

The thing I will miss the most are the people and I only hope that I will be able to see some of them again. I must say I am quite envious of Europeans who have the ability to travel so easily and inexpensively; therefore, allowing them to actually visit people they meet. While I am sad to leave Barcelona and travelling, I am excited to return and see my home with fresh eyes.

These installations can be found all over
Barcelona. This one reads: "Life is so.
Full of light. Full of colour. A flower
 that opens in the center of your heart."


Drawing the canopy above els Encants flea market.

#Elisava #KPUInternational #KPUStudyAbroad #KPU #Barcelona #Spain #travel #drawing #Montserrat

No comments:

Post a Comment